Snow and weather reports posted on Saturday 30th May 2020
Wednesday 11th December 2019, 7:31am
The rain arrived earlier than expected yesterday and hit Furano from morning continuing right through the day. The Kitanomine slopes are showing the effects of the rain, but hopefully this won't delay the opening which is expected soon. This morning is clear above and once again unseasonably warm at +4c. Towards evening more rain is on the forecast. From Thursday onwards a new snow front will be arriving and we will be back to winter conditions.
As you can see from the images below, there is some cool looking low cloud hanging over parts of the valley, but above that it's clear and sunny and we are on for another day of warmth and sunshine. It will warm up to around 10C in the village this afternoon as the freezing level rises to over 2500m.
I am hoping this will be the last 'warm' of the year. From tomorrow a welcome return to somewhat colder conditions, though not yet a return to proper winter like cold. Forecasts currently show the chance of snow tomorrow though it may start off as rain at lower elevations. Come on!!
In resort news, Hakuba 47 the Line C quad lift is still not open this morning, so Hakuba 47 itself is kind of split into upper and lower areas. If you want to ride the top, you'll need to use the Hakuba Goryu gondola to get there and back. I can't see any other particular news to bring you at this early time.
A point definitely worth making: 7:45am is too early to be able to gather all the official information for my report - it simply isn't all there yet! That is one reason why my reports usually appear later than now.
I have not been up onto the slopes the last few days so I cannot comment on snow conditions. There's some choice to be had and definitely fun too - though obviously it is not full-on winter yet. For that, we need more snow. Obviously.
There are a number of planned opening dates for ski resorts looming this weekend. Unless we get a whole lot more snow than forecast before then, that actually happening is looking... unlikely.
Sorry I made a mistake in my report yesterday... I meant to say, chance of snow 'the day after tomorrow' and have edited that now. Apologies.
What was tomorrow (and is now today, if that makes sense) is starting off sunny and mild (warm?), just a light wind.
Tomorrow snow is possible though it isn't going to be getting too cold so there is a chance that we might be dealt some rain.
Let's hope not and that this is the last 'bump' of the year....
Official snow depth (as reported by resort):
- Upper: 140cm - Lower: 70cm
Lifts, courses & tree run info:
- Gondola lift operating - All main courses open - Tree runs not open yet Read more ...
Nozawa Onsen Now!
Wednesday 11th December 2019, 8:03am
The sun is still out. Once the early morning low clouds clear, it's going to be another day of sunshine and temperatures rising to around 10C down at base.
Come the weekend, the ski resort opening will have been delayed by a full 3 weeks, which is sad/frustrating/annoying/worrying/etc - but it's not something that anyone can do anything about is it.
We are looking to tomorrow for the chance of fresh snow and perhaps Saturday too. Will it be enough for the upper areas to open? We will just have to wait and see what Nature brings us; hopefully a nice surprise!
Nozawa Onsen will open as soon as there is enough snow. Read more ...
Wednesday 11th December 2019, 8:15am
Good morning from Niseko.
As you can see from the motley collection of webcam images this morning, there's varying levels of visibility this morning. From cloudy and a bit of a brighter feel with hints of sunshine, to thick soup can't-see-much-at-all fog.
It's mild too. So it really is not the most excite of mornings here. Once I post this I'm going to sit back and enjoy some toast and get a few other things done as we wait for more fresh goodies.
Hopefully tomorrow it will be a clearer case of 'it's snowing' for me to report as temperatures drop right back down to something more like later in the day. Just to be clear on that, I might well have to report rain in my report tomorrow before the dip and changing into snowfall happens.
Today was due to be the first day of 'nighta', if that makes sense, but it looks like due to a mix of conditions and weather that isn't going to happen at Niseko Grand Hirafu and Niseko Village.
However, Niseko Annupuri look set to go ahead with it just on the lower slope with the Dream quad scheduled to be open until 8:30pm.
There is no night time operations over at the HANAZONO area.
Official snow depth (reported by resort): - Peak: 70cm - Base: 50cm
Ski lifts operating: - Niseko Gondola - Upper Village Gondola - Village Express - Community Chair - Banzai Chair
Night time operations are normally available in the Niseko Grand Hirafu, Niseko Village and Niseko Annupuri resort areas. Subject to weather conditions. There is no nighta at the Niseko HANAZONO resort area. Read more ...
Wednesday 11th December 2019, 8:21am
Good morning from Naeba.
It's sunshine and warmer conditions again this morning. A beautiful morning indeed.
The snow around the open base course has now disappeared but that course is still there and open for all you keen folk.
Later tomorrow, we will be happy to get colder once again and there does look to be snow due still as we click into Friday. Beyond that, next snow due around Saturday.
Naeba is part open:
- Number 5 high speed lift (8:00am until 5:00pm) - Number 4 romance pair lift (8:00am until 5:00pm) - The lower base slopes between those lifts are open with a fairly narrow course of natural + artificial snow Read more ...
Shiga Kogen Now!
Wednesday 11th December 2019, 8:22am
Morning from Shiga Kogen.
It's more of the same today. Chilly start but a real warm up during the day with lots of sunshine.
- Ichinose Family: Number 2 pair lift A line operating - Ichinose Diamond: Diamond quad lift - Kumanoyu: Number 2 pair lift A & B line operating - Takamagahara Mammoth: Number 2 triple lift operating - Yakebitaiyama: Number 4 romance lift - Yokoteyama: Number 1 Sky A line and Number 5 lift operating
Other areas of Shiga Kogen are waiting for more snow.
- The section of road connecting the southern area of Shiga Kogen (from Yokoteyama onwards) with Gunma Prefecture is now closed for the season. It will be closed until 24th April 2020. Read more ...
Appi Kogen Now!
Wednesday 11th December 2019, 8:32am
Good morning from APPI.
A good mix of blue sky and cloud yesterday. Still not many people around - it is of course still very early season - but as we approach Christmas and then New Year that is set to change pretty soon... so getting the resort fully open is something that everyone wants to happen.
That is not going to be happening just yet. This morning it is cloudy, no new snow overnight. It is going to remain mild too.
The more exciting news is that tomorrow there should be snow falling and perhaps sustained into Saturday. There does look to be a chance that it might start as rain tonight, especially lower down, but snow is there on the forecast for the day tomorrow. Bring it on, I say.
The 2 lifts and 3 courses at APPI remain open.
APPI is part open:
- Central quad lift - Central Number 2 lift
- Shirakaba course - about 1000m - Hayabusa Course (Number 2 lift section) - about 1000m - Ootaka Course (Number 2 lift section) - about 800m
More sunshine and warmth is what we have lined up for today. The local forecast says that it might get as warm as 13C in town early afternoon. Yikes. Almost feels like a nice spring day. Obviously, that is not the kind of thing I want to be saying at this time of the year!
But later in the day tomorrow temps should be dropping and, fingers crossed, we might get some fresh snow later in the day and overnight into Friday. (Even though it might rain in town before it gets to the snow. Just to tease us).
The Panorama Course at Kagura is going to have to be closed from today, so they are back to the three courses being open (Main, Family and Gondola courses).
Kagura is currently part open:
- Mitsumata Ropeway (8:00am-5:00pm, last one up a 3:30pm) - Mitsumata Number 1 quad (8:00am-4:00pm) - Mitsumata Number 2 romance pair (8:30am-4:30pm) - Kagura Gondola (8:15am-4:00pm, last one up at 3:00pm) - Kagura Number 1 quad (8:30am-3:30pm)
- Main course (1500m) - Family course (1,100m) - Gondola course (4,000m)
Naeba is also part open with the lower base course area available.
Madarao - Saturday 14th December 2019 Tangram Ski Circus - Saturday 21st December 2019 Read more ...
Aizu Bandai Now!
Wednesday 11th December 2019, 10:51am
Fine and sunny
It's warm out there.
Still some decent courses open, though it's all limited as yet.
This clearer sunny weather is all well and good but what we want and need is for colder temperatures and snowfall. From tomorrow the temps are set to take a dip and we can hope for some fresh snow too - especially at higher elevations. The freezing level will be coming right down from around 2500m to around 200m. That's more like it. Not a huge amount of snow on the forecast so we'll just have to see what happens and hope for the best.
Grandeco Snow Resort:
- Number 1 lift and Gondola are operating - 3000m of course available - Rainbow 3500 (upper area) - Lavender B - Connecting to Center course
- B and C lifts operating
Hoshino Resorts Nekoma:
- Forest 3 course open
Opening information - subject to change of course depending on weather/snow conditions.