Snow and weather reports posted on Monday 6th May 2019
Geto Kogen Now!
Sunday 18th March 2018, 7:01am
Clear and sunny
We saw it all yesterday (except rain, thankfully) — sunshine, light snow, clouds and a bit of wind. Temps hit tops of -4C on the hill, with light winds, mostly clear skies by the evening. Conditions on the groomers were good in the morning, though with the faux covering of semi-fresh snow it left the ice below a little deceiving...
This morning we’re looking at tops of 5C for the majority of the day with mostly sunny skies in the morning and light winds. Clouds will roll in towards the end of the day with winds picking up, and the temperature dropping slightly.
This temperature hike will actually fair very well for us riding — with the up and down and rain and snow we’ve seen lately, we need some heat from the sun & air to soften the snow a little. By this afternoon, it should be a spring playground out there.
We’re seeing a bit more weather as we look at the 6 day forecast for Geto Kogen now, with some rain expected Thursday and possibly some snow around it here and there. But remember, we can only trust 3 days ahead, if that...
Monday: light early morning rain then mostly cloudy throughout the day, moderate winds & tops of 4C Tuesday: clear skies, light winds & tops of 0C Wednesday: mostly sunny with evening snow, light winds & tops of 2C
No fresh snowfall to report to you this morning and it is a cloudy/overcast start to the day but wind conditions might well affect top lifts later on today (afternoon?). Keep an eye on the latest if you are planning on being out. (I need to submit my report before info is in this morning).
There seems to be the chance of some fresh snow coming around Tuesday. So that would of course be most welcome.
Have a good Sunday.
Niseko Avalanche Report:
Niseko base 5.00am: -3°, no new snow. Moiwa 800m: -5.5°, SSW2.6m/s, no new snow. Annupuri 1150m: -8°, strong NW wind, thick fog, bad visibility. Hirafu peak: -10°, strong winds, no new snow. Coastal data: Benkei Cape: WNW11m/s. Kamui Cape: SSW22m/s, 1019hPa, wave 1.8m.
A low pressure is approaching from the west, the atmospheric pressure gradient is getting steeper and strong SW winds are blowing above 1000m. However below 800m winds are light. Snowmelt will continue as daytime temperatures rise. Gates 2 and 3 openings yet to be decided and are dependant on lift operation. Please listen to the patrols advice. Other gates are expected to be open. The possibility of a massive full depth avalanche is still looming. Do not ride cracked slopes or in the valley bottoms. The mountain is rapidly heading towards spring with repeated freeze thaw cycles.
Niseko rules were established to allow your freedom to ride out of bounds safely. Most rules are straight forward and easily understood, however because this a ski resort certain restrictions are unavoidable.. The rules are meant to be fair to everyone, not discriminating by knowledge, technology or tools. Please understand the basic principle of Niseko Rules and we thank you for your support.
Sunday 18th March 2018
Resort specific information (operations subject to change):
Lifts scheduled to be operating: - All lifts should be operating as planned (Country Road Chair lift not operating)
Official snow depth: - Top: 410cm - Base: 200cm
Floodlit 'nighta' skiing - until Sunday 18th March
Night skiing is planned for every evening at the Niseko Grand Hirafu, Niseko Village and Niseko Annupuri areas. There is no nighta at the Niseko HANAZONO area. Ski lifts that are scheduled to be operating for nighta are noted below (subject to change):
* Niseko Grand Hirafu - Ace Family quad, Ace Number 2 quad, Hirafu Gondola, Holiday Number 1 pair * Niseko Annupuri - Jumbo Number 1 quad lift * Niseko Village - Village Express, Upper Village Gondola, Community Chair Read more ...
Sunday 18th March 2018, 8:20am
Fine sunny conditions
Good morning from Yuzawa.
It's a lovely morning but cloudier conditions are expected by the end of the day, along with temperatures of around 10C in town.
Slightly cooler conditions are probable tomorrow - as is some rain, I'm afraid. But there is some chance of snow as well by Tuesday, with higher chances especially at higher elevations.
Let's see what we get served this time. Fingers crossed all.
Images today from GALA Yuzawa, NASPA Ski Garden (both from 2:30pm) and an early morning Maiko Snow Resort.
Updated: Sunday 18th March February 2018
Ski resorts in Yuzawa:
Checked and updated every morning. Note that some ski resorts may not have updated their own info at the time this report is published.
The trees remained white all through the day (looked more like ice than snow up in the branches, but it was pretty!). Not too bad snow off of the piste, too, my contacts tell me. I’ll check for myself this morning.
But we can see the end of the season coming soon; I’ll post closing dates next week, and some predictions, too (can Akakan actually stay open until Golden Week?)
But one last surprise might be coming: national broadcaster NHK says there’s a chance of heavy snow on Wednesday... it ain’t over until it’s over...
In the village the sun is shining down, and roofs and roads are already starting to melt. Looking up at the resort the sky is mainly blue with a few clouds dotted around. Tree branches are moving significantly enough to indicate that a light to moderate breeze is blowing, but with a temperature of +4c that breeze will be most welcome as a cooling fan. All up it looks like a fantastic spring morning. Read more ...
Sunday 18th March 2018, 9:00am
Fine and sunny
Good morning from Madarao.
A fine day is lined up today with perhaps more cloud later in the day.
In the coming week, the forecast shows the chance of some snow. It is going to be interesting to see if we can get a few nice bonus surprises over the coming week.
Official snow depth:
Number 1 lift Number 2 quad lift Number 3A lift Super quad lift Number 11 lift Number 12 lift Number 13 lift Number 15 lift
Powder Wave I Free Ride Park Ninja Sawa Rabbit Bear
Please note that the snowfall numbers posted in this report will be observed from close to the base Tenjindaira Ropeway station - which is often much more than in the central town area of Minakami. Read more ...
Shiga Kogen Now!
Sunday 18th March 2018, 10:36am
Hello from Shiga Kogen.
The sun is out this morning.
I'm still looking at the forecast and excited at the prospect of some fresh snow in the coming week.
Today I am starting to post the 'planned closing dates' information for resorts and I'll keep this on the report every day. Basically:
- all ski areas in Shiga Kogen plan to be at least part open until the end of March; - a bunch of resorts will be open on specific dates (usually weekends and Golden Week) once we get into April; - the remaining resorts will be open daily until 6th May and beyond that (they will close when there's not enough snow left to ski or board!)
Once we get to the end of March, I will add specific lift operation plans for the ski resorts that remain open during the months of April and May.
Planned closing date information for the ski areas around Shiga Kogen. Note that all are subject to change.
Details of ski lift operations during the months of April and May will be posted by the end of March Read more ...
Sunday 18th March 2018, 12:04pm
Blue sky, some cloud
Hello from Hakuba and it has been a lovely spring morning here.
A chilly start to the early morning but things have warmed up quickly and right now around lunchtime it is hovering around +10C here in the village.
It has been a beautiful spring morning with more thin cloud gradually developing.
The weather of the last few weeks has of course meant that there has been a lot of snow melt going on around base. The slopes are fine with excellent cover still, though my friend pointed out to me last night how much snow has been disappearing from around town areas. Always sad, but we should be thankful that there's a lot on the mountain and there's still a good 6 weeks left of ski lift operations - all being well.
In fact, the forecast (for the mountains) seems to be looking quite interesting actually for the coming week with the chance of snow. That might be rain down at base. Let's see!
Ski resort information on Sunday 18th March 2018 (at time of writing):