Snow and weather reports posted on Saturday 23rd February 2019
Thursday 24th March 2016, 7:41am
Blue skies, sun, some cloud
Good morning from Niseko and it's an early report from me today as I need to get myself to Sapporo this morning.
This morning there is a lot of blue sky around and some white clouds hanging around too, and as I write the sun is out... it's a fine morning. The forecasts do still insist that there's some chance of a bit of snow though so things may well change. Similar conditions are forecast for tomorrow as well.
Oh yes, there's 1cm of snow on the ground too.
Things look like they'll probably be pretty dry from the weekend onwards and maybe quite a lot of sunshine and things starting to warm up around Tuesday.
Resort specific lift opening news at time of posting (subject to change during the day):
A moderate easterly wind persisted until early morning and made some snowdrifts develop in areas above treeline. The temperature in higher elevation is also much lower than the base.
Surface slab avalanches of up to 10cm thickness are to be expected in open steep faces and knolls above 800m elevation. A wide area can start sliding simultaneously. Habits of riding the valley bottoms should be changed. Better not underestimate the giant Spring slides. IF you’re caught in one, chances to survive is close to none. Carrying a short rope as a measure of safety for coming out of cracks or creeks is highly recommended. Harnesses may not be necessary, but one rope can change the whole game. The mountain condition is not bad at all. Beware of sudden weather changes and have a nice day.
Spring is here, have a great day.
Official resort snow depths as of Thursday 24th March 2016:
Morning from Madarao and... it's snowing! And it's actually snowing pretty good at the moment. Interesting weather, but this time on the good side of being interesting!
The resort is reporting up to 10cm of snowfall even. Not quite that much back where I am but still, there's going to be a decent layer of fresh to play in this morning. What's more there's snow in the forecast through today and into tomorrow as well so we might even get a bit more.
Tree runs open at Madarao: Kamoshika, Ninja, Powder Wave 2, Sawa
Snow started falling around mid afternoon yesterday to everyone's delight, and this morning here's what resorts are reporting as a result:
Hakuba Cortina reporting 10-15cm of fresh snow this morning. Hakuba Goryu reporting 5cm of fresh snow on lower areas and 15cm on upper slopes. Hakuba 47 reporting 10cm of fresh snow this morning. Hakuba Happo-one reporting 8cm of fresh snow this morning.
So around 5cm of fresh snow at base areas, and up to 15cm higher up. Not bad at all, and people heading out for early lifts this morning will be happy. I'm off out there myself to enjoy this late season fresh...
The weather is fine too this morning. Currently hovering around 0C and a bit of an early morning mix at the moment - cloud, blue sky, sunshine, fog - depending on where you are, but with the chance of more snow today and perhaps tomorrow as well it will be interesting to see how the day turns out.
Temperatures look set to start rising once again from around Monday.
Resort news as of 8:00am on Thursday 24th March 2016 (where available, all subject to change due to weather conditions)
Hakuba 47: Hakuba 47 reporting 10cm of fresh snow this morning. All courses at Hakuba 47 remain open. The Tree Riding Zone is closed. Official snow depth: Upper: 185cm Base: 70cm
Hakuba Goryu: Hakuba Goryu reporting 5cm of fresh snow on lower areas and 15cm on upper slopes. All courses open apart from Snow Diving, Adventure, Cosmo River, Sunny Way and Straight Whisky. The Toomi area will be open until 9:30pm tonight for 'nighta'. Official snow depth Alps: 238cm Toomi: 95cm Iimori: 50cm
Hakuba Happo-one: Hakuba Happo-one reporting 8cm of fresh snow this morning. Happo Banks and Kurobishi Off Piste Area closed this morning. The lower Kokusai, Shirakaba North and Central Course areas are closed; other sections of the lower areas are only part available due to insufficient snow. Upper mountain remains all open. Official snow depth: Usagidaira: 160cm Nakiyama: 30cm Sakka: 5cm
Hakuba Cortina: Hakuba Cortina reporting 10-15cm of fresh snow this morning. Courses open - Ikenota and Ipponmatsu. Unfortunately, risk of avalanche this morning means some other areas need to be closed. Nighta has now finished for the season. Official snow depth: Top: 150cm Base: 70cm
Tsugaike Kogen: Uma-no-se course closed. Other courses open for part of Champion. The top Tsugaike Ropeway is now open for spring season (extra charge required). Official snow depth: Tsuga-no-mori: 215cm Maruyama: 50cm Kane-no-naru-oka: 30cm
Hakuba Iwatake Snow Field: Just the 5 line and Gondola lifts remain open. Open courses: by1, Sunny and Paradise (part), South, Gezan (part) Official snow depth: Upper: 90cm Lower: 20cm
Hakuba Norikura Onsen: Open courses: Hakunori Family, Wakaguri Central, Rabbit and Wakaguri Rinkan. Official snow depth: 50cm
Sleet/wet snow is falling right now lower down and so it should be continuing to snow at those higher elevations, and these snow clouds should be around the area through until tomorrow.
Come Saturday sunny skies are expected and into next week higher temperatures so we might be getting back to 'spring' once again.
For now though it should be fun to get out on the fresh snow. (Some more please!)
I really wish I could bring you updated, clear and definite news regarding when different resorts around town plan to close - but they simply aren't out there.
Unfortunately resorts are either keeping tight-lipped about their plans or are still deciding on what to do. I did hear yesterday that one large resort had decided that Sunday 27th will be their last day of the season, and I'm sure that was on their website when I looked yesterday, but it doesn't seem to be on there this morning. Perhaps the snow falling overnight has them thinking that they'll carry on a bit longer?
Anyway I will bring you any such news as we get it...
Naeba have announced that they will be open until Sunday 3rd April, which will be the last day of their season. Yuzawa Nakazato have announced that they will be open until Sunday 27th March.
Resort official snow depths (Thursday 24th March 2016) and any specific news at time of writing:
There are now lots of patches of ground on view showing on lower slopes around town. Some more than others. The snow situation means that some courses/areas at resorts are now closed. If you are planning on visiting, I recommended that you check with the individual resorts for their up-to-date details. You can find their websites from the links below. Note that snow cover is not a problem higher up so there's still a lot of skiing and boarding left.
Planned official closing date information - there's a good chance some of these will change
Ishiuchi Maruyama - daily until Sunday 3rd April Maiko Snow Resort - daily until Sunday 3rd April and then 9th/10th April Ishiuchi Hanaoka - until Sunday 27th March (Saturday, Sunday only) Mt Granview - until Sunday 27th March (Saturday, Sunday only) Joetsu Kokusai - daily until Sunday 3rd April Chateau Shiozawa - until Thursday 31st March Muikamachi Ski Resort - daily until Sunday 3rd April Muikamachi Hakkaisan - now closed
Good morning from Shiga Kogen and there's more snow to report this morning.
4cm outside my place and I am hearing people talk of anything up to 10cm this morning. And the snow isn't due to let up just yet either, perhaps continuing into tomorrow.
It is snowing now but it's quite bright and visibility - here in the Maruike area at least - is pretty good.
There is 1 week left for all of the resort area of Shiga Kogen to remain open. Apparently, the ones planning to close would do so even if we got 50cm in one night. Hardly likely of course, I wonder if that did actually happen they might be tempted!
Spring season dates for Shiga Kogen resort areas (subject to change):
Sun Valley Both Sun Valley lifts plan to be operating until Sunday 3rd April.
Maruike The Number 1 triple lift plans to be operating until Sunday 3rd April. The Number 2 pair lift plans to be operating until Sunday 27th March.
Hasuike The triple lift and ropetow plan to be operating until Sunday 27th March.
Giant The pair lift plans to be operating until Sunday 3rd April.
Higashitateyama The Gondola plans to be operating until Sunday 3rd April.
Bunadaira The Hoppo quad lift plans to be operating until Sunday 3rd April. The Bunadaira quad lift plans to be operating until Sunday 27th March (* closed on 22nd and 23rd March).
Takamagahara Mammoth The quad lift plans to be operating until Sunday 8th May (* Saturdays and Sundays only from 11th April until 28th April). The triple lift plans to be operating until Thursday 31st March. The pair lift plans to be operating until Thursday 31st March (* Saturdays, Sundays and holidays only in March).
Nishitateyama The Nishitateyama lifts plan to be operating until Thursday 31st March.
Tannenomori Okojo The quad lift plans to be operating until Sunday 8th May.
Ichinose Family The Ichinose quad lift plans to be operating until Sunday 8th May. The Ichinose Number 2 pair A lift plans to be operating until Thursday 31st March. The Ichinose Number 2 pair B lift plans to be operating until Sunday 8th May. The Ichinose Number 3 quad lift plans to be operating until Sunday 27th March (* closed Tuesdays).
Terakoya The Terakoya lifts plan to be operating until Sunday 8th May (* Saturdays and Sundays only from 4th April until 28th April).
Ichinose Diamond The Ichinose Diamond quad lift plans to be operating until Sunday 8th May (* Saturdays and Sundays only from 4th April until 28th April). The Ichinose Diamond triple lift plans to be operating until Sunday 27th March (* Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays).
Ichinose Yamanokami The Ichinose Yamanokami plans to be open until late March, depending on snow conditions.
Yakebitaiyama Currently details are unconfirmed.
Okushiga Kogen The Okushiga Kogen Number 1 pair lift plans to be operating until Sunday 3rd April. The Okushiga Kogen Number 2, 3 and 4 pair lifts plan to be operating until Sunday 8th May. The Okushiga Kogen Number 6 pair lift plans to be operating until Sunday 24th April. The Okushiga Kogen Gondola lift plans to be operating until Sunday 8th May.
Kumanoyu The Kumanoyu Number 1 pair lift plans to be operating until Sunday 3rd April. The Kumanoyu Number 2 pair A and B lifts plan to be operating until Sunday 8th May. The Kumanoyu Number 3 quad lift plans to be operating until Sunday 3rd April; and then on 9th, 10th, 16th, 17th, 23rd, 24th April and from 29th April until 8th May.
Yokoteyama & Shibutoge The Yokoteyama Number 1 Sky A and B lifts plan to be operating until Sunday 8th May. The Yokoteyama Number 2 and 3 Sky lifts plan to be operating until Sunday 8th May (and perhaps beyond depending on snow conditions). The Yokoteyama Number 4 pair lift plans to be operating until Thursday 5th May. The Shibutoge lift plans to be operating until Sunday 8th May (and perhaps beyond depending on snow conditions).
Snow coming in hard from the North here at the moment. Good-sized flakes to add to yesterday's fall. Apparently there is around 10-15cm of fresh on top of crust up top this morning though that should grow quickly if this weather keeps up.
Tenjin has closed their cat track for the year which is unfortunate though it was getting pretty patchy at the base over the past few days. Any backcountry will need to be done with one-way lifts henceforth.
They are also digging out the bowl for Minakami Vibes on Apr 2nd which means the two steep pistes either side of the Toge lift are out of action as they are pilfering snow in those spots. The rest is business as usual.
Checked Hodaigi recently and they will close some of the upper lifts after this weekend though conditions were excellent on Tuesday with plenty of soft Spring corn.
I am actually in Tokyo at the moment so todays report comes to you courtesy of my friend in Zao emailing me info!
Sounds like it's just a cloudy morning up there with no new cm to report. The forecast still tells us the chance of a bit of snowfall at times today and tomorrow, along with a good chance of sun over the weekend and beyond - warmer conditions as well as we enter next week.
Information as of Thursday 24th March 2016 (subject to change)
Lifts closed for the season:
Karamatsu Zao Kokutai pair Zao Paradise Number 3 pair
It is snowing this morning at Grandeco and there has been an accumulation of 1cm of new snow since last night. Based on the weather forecast it looks like it will remain cloudy and snowing for the duration of the day though there's some blue sky up there as well at times.
The wind is not very strong this morning, but the air is a bit colder than it has been over the past few days.
All the courses are freshly groomed packed snow/core with a very light mix of new snow from what fell over the past 24 hours.
The Snow Park is working on a full renewal in the coming days with plans for a 50m spring session halfpipe in the works. Stay tuned for more details.
This snowfall seems like it might continue through tomorrow. Saturday is expected to be cloudy with the skies turning blue and the weather warming up for Sunday.
For now roads up to Deco are pretty much clear, but be sure to come prepared just in case. Have fun and be safe out there.
Ski resorts around Mt. Bandai are announcing their planned closing dates:
Alts Bandai / Urabandai ski resorts - until 27th March.
After 27th, resorts that remain open in the region will be Grandeco, Nekoma and Minowa.
Nekoma will be closed between 19th-21th and 26th-28 Apr but these resorts all plan to be open until 5th May ---- but whether they can do that or not will totally depend on the snow levels of course, which are less than usual and less than expected. We'll just have to see how things develop over the coming weeks.
It is another glorious start to the day and the feeling of spring is in the air. Temperatures have started off cold, which is great for keeping the snow pack firm and wintery. It is sunny, and blue skies stretch over the resort and up the valley. Wind conditions are absolutely still this morning. The sunny weather will continue through to the weekend. Read more ...
Thursday 24th March 2016, 9:48am
Pretty cloudy out there today.
Good morning from Naeba everybody.
Well good news as we've woken up to 7cm of new powder this morning with the snow still coming down relatively fast and thick.
As a result all the runs are in much better condition after all this hot weather we've been recently having.
Weather looking forwards is for snow for most days up until Sunday.
Naeba has announced that it's season will end on Sunday 4th April - no opening beyond then due to the low snow levels this year - and so there's just over a week and a half to go. Kagura will of course be continuing beyond that date, accessible via the Mitsumata and Tashiro Ropeways
This morning brings the occasional snow flurry, although it wont be around for long, partly cloudy skies and a temperature outside my door of -1. The forecast for the next few days should be mostly cloudy with a few centimetres of snow falling today and tomorrow. The winds will be stable and relatively light but we may see an increase in temperature to the zero mark by Friday.
I was very surprised yesterday regarding the condition of the runs. The fresh snow definitely helped and the grooming made for quite a nice day out there irrespective of the gusty winds. I have a feeling that today and tomorrows conditions on the slopes will be similar so it will be well worth heading out.
Currently planned operating lifts:
- Appi Gondola - Central Number 1 quad - Number 2 lift A - T Bar - Number 3 lift B - Number 3 lift C - Number 4 lift - Sailer Gondola - Sailer Quad - Vista quad