Snow and weather reports posted on Sunday 30th May 2021
Wednesday 28th November 2018, 7:26am
Clear morning again
Morning from Yuzawa where conditions continue to be mild and today temps will likely rise above 10 degrees in town (they only dipped down to around 5C overnight). Fine clear skies over Yuzawa this morning; more cloud to the north over Minamiuonuma.
As far as I can tell there are no changes to what remains open at Kagura.
It should be colder tomorrow again but there's still not much to get excited about on the weekly forecast with warmer conditions once again early next week. It looks like it's going to something of an up and down experience in this very early stage of the season.
Mitsumata Ropeway: 8:00am until 5:00pm (last going up at 2:30pm) Mitsumata Number 1 high speed lift: 8:00am until 3:00pm Mitsumata Number 2 romance lift: 9:00am until 4:30am Kagura Gondola: 8:15am until 4:00pm
Kagura main course - 600m in length, 30-50m wide
The Mitsumata area is open just as a connecting area. The Tashiro area is closed. It plans to open from 8th December. The open course is not recommended for beginners. Return to Mitsumata Ropeway via Mitsumata lift or snow mats.
Planned opening dates - subject to change of course depending on weather/snow conditions.
We enjoyed some blue skies during the day yesterday, along with those less welcome warmer conditions.
Happily it is colder this morning - currently +2C - and we are hopeful for some more snow to set in starting today through Saturday along with a further drop in temperature. Back down into minus numbers.
There is lots of cloud around this morning with a very grey feel going on, and some extremely light snow ('light' as in the rate it is falling, rather than fluffiness) trying to fall as of 8:00am. Which is better than the very light rain when I first went outside this morning. By tonight hopefully it will be snowing properly, maybe allowing me to be able to report fresh cm in my report tomorrow morning.
The lifts that are operating and the courses that are open at Niseko Grand Hirafu and Niseko Annupuri remain the same, even though there is less snow each day.
Well, it's a lovely morning. But we could do with snow rather than sunshine right now. With warm conditions over the last few days, Kumanoyu have been struggling to get their snow making machines going so the course that remains open is --- not ideal. Snow is thin on the ground.
So, we wait for snow.
Over the coming week temps look set to dip (the next few days) before rising once again early week; it doesn't look like I am going to be able to bring you much snow news before next week. Having said that there might be some night - if there's any new cm on the ground, I'll post another report.
Official snow depths numbers reported by different areas of Shiga Kogen:
Please note that these numbers are the official numbers that ski resorts publish and we check and update them each morning.
Kumanoyu - Official snow depth: 20cm - A 600m long (and 30-50m wide) course area is open and the Number 2 pair lift is operating.
I thought I would post a new report to keep you up to date.
It has been a very mild few days - in pretty much all of Japan it seems - and unfortunately the snow up top is getting less, rather than more. There's just a bit of snow on the upper areas right now (Paradise and upwards) as the resort waits for snow to arrive and get going for the season.
We are going to have to wait a bit longer.
While the next few days should see colder conditions than we have had over the last few days, temps are set to rise once again early next week. There is a chance of some snowfall on upper slopes overnight tonight (rain likely in the village) and perhaps around Saturday too, but I think it is reasonable to say that there's little chance of the resort being able to open for at least another week. I would be very happy to be wrong, and I will of course post a new report with any news.
* Please note that it is always the top section of the resort that opens first, not the whole mountain. Read more ...
Wednesday 28th November 2018, 8:44am
Good morning from Hakuba.
Yesterday was... unseasonably warm. In all of Japan. And lots of snow that we did have on the upper slopes has sadly, for the most part, disappeared.
Today is going to remain mild, though perhaps not as much as yesterday, and thankfully it should be a little colder from tomorrow into the weekend.
But warmer conditions are due again from Sunday into the early week.
Hmmm. I think we are going to need to work on being patient. It's still very early of course, but always difficult when you're itching to get out there. And in my case desperate to try out some beautiful looking brand new gear! I'm going to wait until it's deep and fluffy before breaking that lot in though...
The warm weather lasted throughout the day yesterday and in the early evening I saw the thermometer spike to +10c! Today the weather is more representative of winter and temperatures have dived well into the negatives up on the mountain. It has been snowing lightly since early morning but the ground temperatures in the village are still warm and there has been no accumulation. On the open trails there is a light layer of new fresh snow. The cold temperatures will persist for the remainder of the week along with light snow.
Furano Zone is open with Furano Ropeway for uplifting/down lifting only. The skiable trails are Shirakaba and upper Sailer, with the Downhill #2 chair servicing those trails. Read more ...