Snow and weather reports posted on Saturday 30th May 2020
Aizu Bandai Now!
Wednesday 4th December 2019, 7:53am
Good morning and I it is looking rather winter like this morning.
10cm of snowfall at base of Minowa and a wintery scene outside. It's not mid season light fluffy, a bit wetter but perhaps that is even good for getting a base established which is hopefully what is happening now.
We are hoping for more over the next couple of days, perhaps will temps dipping more too...
- Number 1 lift operating - 1800m Center course open
- B lift operating
Opening information - subject to change of course depending on weather/snow conditions.
Since yesterday's report a further 20cm of snow has accumulated on the ground in the ski village. Overnight there were strong winds. It is now calm and the snow has stopped falling, but is forecast to start again later in the morning and we could see moderate snowfall during the afternoon. The official base depth is now 89cm.
Furano Zone: OPEN Kitanomine Zone : CLOSED
Operating lifts: Furano Ropeway, Prince Romance #2 chair
There is a bit of a damp feel about this morning, though it is not raining at the moment and we have some blue sky amongst the mostly cloudy skies.
The forecast for the day is for temperatures to remain fairly mild (a high of around 6C in town) with rain, sleet or snow - and perhaps in that order - as the day goes on.
Snow is on the forecast down to town levels tomorrow so we can look forward to that.
Kagura is currently part open:
- Mitsumata Ropeway (8:00am-5:00pm, last one up a 3:30pm) - Mitsumata Number 1 quad (8:00am-4:00pm) - Mitsumata Number 2 romance pair (8:15am-4:30pm) - Kagura Gondola (8:15am-4:00pm, last one up at 3:00pm) - Kagura Number 1 romance (8:30am-3:30pm)
Note the times - opening a bit later on weekdays than over the weekend.
600m of the main Kagura course is available for skiing/snowboarding.
Other ski resorts in the region are closed as we wait for snow (and planned opening dates!)
Photos below from around 8am on Wednesday 4th December 2019:
- Kagura - Yuzawa Kogen - Ishiuchi Maruyama
Planned opening dates - subject to change of course depending on weather/snow conditions.
Niseko Grand Hirafu has announced that it will be part open from 8:30am tomorrow. They plan to have the Ace Family quad, Ace Number 2 Center 4 and Ace Number 3 pair lifts operating.
The Family Course and Center Course areas will be open.
Full details in my report tomorrow.
Hello and good morning to you all from Niseko.
Brrrr, it is really cold out there this morning! I see Niseko Annupuri are saying it's -17C up top, Niseko Village posting a less severe -10C.
It's windy too. And visibility has been limited at times early this morning.
Most importantly what I can see is a layer of lovely fresh snow on the ground.
With the wind blowing it all about I am guessing today will be one of those days when there's less/more snow in different places you look. So in the name of research I put all my warm gear on and had a bit of a walk outside just before. Yes, it is very cold. I noted a range of around 15cm-25cm of snow, with 17cm as my reading around my trusted spot.
There will be more than that on the mountain of course so with snow likely to continue over the next few days we can feel positive about more lifts soon being able to open. This storm will need to pass and then some thinking done (cue some very serious looks accompanied by stroking chins), preparations etc. It would be great if things could open up for the coming weekend wouldn't it. Let's see.
For now, the one lift at Niseko Annupuri and two lifts at Niseko Village remain open (weather permitting) with limited lower runs at both of those areas available for those brave enough to face the weather conditions head on. The available runs may not be gnarly but you sure need to have some of that gnarl thing going on to want to be outside this morning!
Not much to report this morning really, though clearer images to show you below.
It is still feeling fairly mild, there are lots of clouds around with a few bits of blue sky in places, and we are hoping to see snow falling before I get to post my report tomorrow morning. Perhaps as early as around lunchtime today, though it may be rain at lower elevations at least to start off with. Snow is likely tomorrow though too so we should be seeing a snow covered mountain again soon...
Webcam still images below from 8:30am, 4th December 2019: